Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Goa


Goa, a state of India, former colony of Portugal. A wonderful place to live, travel, to enjoy. The first time I entered in Goa was a little weird, weird in a meant that I seemed that I was entering in another country, similar to India but not the same. It was so good, to recognize so many typical things about my country. The names, the architecture, the buildings left there by us, so many things. We entered in Goa by some little mountains, in that part of the trip the bus trip isn’t very pleasant. It’s really amazing the contrasts that we can find there, in one moment we are in the middle of a mountain, after some time you’re in the beach. And during the way we see small shops, with typical Portuguese names as “Farmácia” (Pharmacy) or café (coffee). I like to say that Goa is still a little piece of Portugal, at least for me. In India we don’t have any contact with any kind of Portuguese cultural. The only contact is with 2 Portugueses that I know and there is something more.

In my first trip I stayed there for two weeks, we went to the beach, we rent some bikes, discover better the place. It was really good, the first time is always something special. Also was the last the trip of Bastien. Unfortunately he didn’t have much lucky, he was sick all weekend. All because of paneer masala, a typical Indian plate that “killed” him. And according the guy was the less spicy plate that he had. For the most of us was one of the most spicy plates that we eaten.

This weekend we comeback, to another place, also in the north of Goa. The first time we went to a beach almost desert, this time was a typical tourist beach.  In the first time were cows in the beach, the typical Indian cow that is everywhere, in this one we just had dogs, lots of them. And we made a friend there, Jimmy, such a nice dog! The dog “belong” to the restaurant where we were seated (also from the same owner where we slept), he was like a guardian there. After some moments there we just see an Indian Guy trying to enter in the restaurant, and Jimmy from no where, bite him. And we was just behind me, I was really scared, this dog probably had rage, bit a guy and he is just behind me, such a lucky guy. He was all the time barking, more latter I realized that he basically just barked to Indian guys. I was all the time eating and looking behind me to understand what he was doing. When I finish I just get out of there. But at night I met Jimmy again another story with him. He really liked me.

This time we stayed 3 days instead of the 2 of last time. I realized that with 3 days, the trip can be much better. We can enjoy more, we don’t need to think, tomorrow we gonna comeback! But it’s great to be there, no matter the number of days, better 2 than no one.

But now Goa starts to forget its history, Portuguese it’s anymore a language spoken there, now it starts to be “conquered” by Russia. Amazing the number of Russians that we can find there. I would say that in every 10 tourists at least 5 are Russians, if not more. Even the menus of the restaurants are in Russian. Usually the Portugueses (joking) say that Algarve is more of the British’s or from the Germans than the Portugueses. If they saw this here, they would change their minds. At least in Algarve, around 50% of the tourists are Portugueses, here the Indians should be 10% of the market.

In the last time we were in Old Goa, there it really seems that we are in Portugal. I didn’t see the all old Goa unfortunately, probably I won’t comeback there, at least this time. The streets, the churches, the buildings, etc everything we can see that’s from Portugal. Really cool to see that. It’s awesome to see that our country contribute to add value to some place, and here I can really see that without Portugal, Goa wouldn’t be the same.

One of the best things in Goa is that you don’t pay any taxes, one of best attractions there, for example the price of the alcohol is the double more cheap than in Bangalore. I always enjoy the opportunity to bring some stuff from there.  

Later I will add some photos in my album for you can see with your own eyes. 1 image speaks more than 1000 words, so just enjoy it. And if you have the opportunity to go there, it worth it.  

Enjoy life, you will be much more happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment