Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The road so far... day 1

After 1 month of an Indian life i can look back and make a balance.
The life here isn't perfect, it's not a paradise, but worth the experience. Who has the opportunity to come here, i for sure would suggest.

Everything started in 5th of January, day that i leave (O)Porto.
Destiny: Bangalore:
Point of the situation: I still had a long journey.
In overall i was in 6 airports, two says travelling (without sleeping) and i found out that without a battery for the Laptop it's hard to turn on it. The stupid thing is that airports as Heathrow should have "some" quality, and not even i could turn on my Laptop.

But on 7th of January there i was, in the airport of Bangalore, expecting that someone was there to pick me up with a big "signboard" saying "Paulo Welcome" (or something like that). I also was curious to know who was outside waiting for me, what kind of person i would met for the first time. Excited, that's how i was, an incredible experience was about to begin and this was the starting point!

But i arrive outside and i see (or better, i don't see it) my first surprise in India (surprises here are very common here, sometimes i think that they are so common that they pass to make part of our routine), there was no one waiting for me! I waited a little more (more than 1h) and i realize that no one would pick me up. But now i had a big problem, no battery on Laptop, no connection to the internet, and i even had bring 2 cellphones but i didn't any battery in both of them. I was totally turn off of the world, disconnected.
And now?!!! I had completely trusted in the Laptop and in the cellphone, Technologies!
My lucky was that i brought some papers, i manage to call to my Tn manager in Portugal through a public phone and he enter in contact with the guys from here. They told me what bus i should take, the address for where i should go.

While i was going to the bus stop a taxi driver approach me, he wants to took me with him, even against my will, he made me an exorbitant price ( at least, it was what seemed in that moment. Later i found out that was really cheap), i try to think, should i go or not, but after 2 days without sleeping you just want to go! I took the cab with more two people and after a long journey i arrived to the meeting point. But i hadn't money, i had explained to the taxi driver that he should stop in an atm for me to withdraw money, ut as most of the Indians that don't speak very well English he had told me that he would understood. We where half an hour trying to withdraw money, or my credit card wouldn't work, or the atm wouldn't had money. Unfortunately the atm didn't have me small change, only big notes, of course as any Indian he wouldn't have any change for me and even raise me the price! After half an hour arguing i accepted the price and ask him to contact the person that should me pick up. In the end the trip cost me 450Rs, now after one month i understand that it was really cheap, pure lucky, if he would ask me 2000Rs, i think i would accept.

But my day was far from over. The meeting point was forum mall, in the macdonald's, the problem was that i couldn't enter with my baggage in the mall, so i had to wait outside hopping that some one would recognize, after all i was the only foreigner there with baggage (a lot of it) . After some time i see Ankit for the first time!

After this come up my first trip in an Auto Rickshaw, it seemed that i was a Kidd  receiving a new toy! The first(s) time(s) that you are in an Auto Rickshaw it's really something special!  After some time, there i was in raheja, and after here my memory vanish! I just know that i slept, and i slept and i slept. And in the next day i was still sleepy. But everything work well, i arrived well after all, i wasn't stolen by any taxi driver and this was the first day of journey that i will never forget!

Stay in touch for more posts!   

No comments:

Post a Comment